Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Welcome to A Healthy Goodwin


















I've always thought that prose is for the weak. With that in mind, a welcome in verse:

Gather 'round children, and with wide eyes behold,
Arnie's tale, for the first time digitally told,
An epic battle pitting mutant marrow and shells,
Against a mounting force of Interferon and cells.

With muskets aimed and bayonets poised to tear,
This site will serve as a way to share,
About Arnie, the Battle, the glory to come,
When the virus is vanquished, the trench-war won.

So, hold loved ones close, grab pike and spear,
Gather needles, and doctors, and exotic chemicals near,
Put them to work with all deliberate speed,
For a healthy Arnie the world does need.

That's all I've got for now. I'll let the master of ceremonies, Mr. A. H. Goodwin, say the rest.

Zach

4 comments:

A. H. Goodwin said...

Well, with a send off like that I feel like I can whip the world. This wierd cancer thing doesn't stand a chance.
AHG

Tripp Hudgins said...

Wondrous.

A. H. Goodwin said...

Well, it's Saturday morning and the first batch is in there kicking some cellular ass! I must say that the day was uneventful if one imagines what is really going on inside you. While the chemo, formulated to seek out the fast growing white cells finds it way to them, you actually feel nothing but a restlessness that comes with being tied down to a pole and a bag.

The post effects were not so benign, it took about an hour to feel the unique effects of the chemistry and it just kind of takes me down- like a bad flu. But more magic chemistry, an anaemetic (sp) to quell the nausea, something for headache and I drifted off to sleep. I don't believe this is the end of that kind of reaction for this round, but I don't have the next infusion until Wd, so I don't believe I'll uncomfortable the entire time between now and then.

Dr Godley was just in and thinks that my bumps have begun to recede - I thought the same this morning, but didn't believe it possible. The other interesting thing is since what I have is a tumor (just on the skin) that the medical team can see the effects of the therapy immediately- actually acting on a tumor and not having to rely only on lab and imaging to tell what's happening. This is immediate feedback to the therapies because they can actually watch it hour to hour change form.

Thanks for the new picture Zach- taken at the church picnic I believe. Eri get to bed earlier, please don't worry. If you want to call, just do it - if I don't feel well enough to talk, I wont answer or I'll let you know- OK.

Dr Godley just told me that I'm moving to a better room on the north side of the ward- I'll post the new phone and room number when I get moved it.

Unknown said...

Arnie:
What a wonderful team you have got--a poet, a bride, a daughter and a doctor named Lucy!
So good to have the bumps receding already...
We are with you now in the blogosphere and will be with you in person when you are ready!
Hanging on your every word, we love you,
Charlie, Marybeth and the boys
312-590-5590